Friday, January 25, 2013

THANK YOU EATING WELL MAGAZINE! (who knew we could have such fun with old calendars?)

A friend of mine works for Eating Well magazine and she sent in the old 2012 calendars.  I was originally going use them for collage picture cutting, but when I saw how many there were, I gave each child one!  We talked about the foods in the pictures, and the recipes for each month.  *Be warned that your children now want to cook the recipe for their birthday month!

The most amazing thing about this whole "event" was that the kids started finding their birthday months, reading, comparing the recipes and numbers, and thus began a student based learning experience.  I facilitated more learning by asking them to find their buddies that had the same birthday month, to find their number of their birthday, and more!  You should have seen the excitement as they poured over their calendars!  (well you can see a bit in the photos) They sure were disappointed when they had to put them away.  This afternoon, they want to put their friends birthdays on their calendars.

  One of my favorite things about teaching, is following a "path" that was not planned... in order to let students lead and be invested in the learning!  This calendar activity is a perfect example!




No comments:

Post a Comment