Thursday, September 8, 2011

Welcome 2011-2012 Kindergarten Families!

Hello All!  I am happy to welcome you to our classroom blog!  This blog will serve to help you "spy" on your kindergartner!  Sneaky huh?  Check back soon for pictures of your kids in action. 

As you will come to find throughout this year, I enjoy using "out of the box" ways to teach my students.  As a way of  teaching the class about never giving up and having permission to make mistakes, I showed them this Danny MacAskill video.  For those of you who do not know Danny, he is a street trials pro rider.  Basically that means he is a bike rider that does "sick" tricks! 

So... how does this tie into my lesson of welcoming mistakes and never giving up?  Watch the video at the link below and check out the section starting around 37 seconds.  Danny  falls two times and finally, on the third try, does what he sets out to do.  The students watched and cheered for Danny as he tried to ride the fence and clapped and yelled when he did it.  (Needless to say they beg me to watch Danny everyday!)  After we watched this, we discussed these questions.

Did he make a mistake?
How did he feel?
What did he do when he made a mistake?  Did he give up?
What happened when he kept practicing?
Will you make mistakes?
What will you do when you make them?

Enjoy the video...and don't worry, I gave them the "don't try this at home" speech!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

No comments:

Post a Comment